Since 1987, the Scripps Heisman Poll, the longest-running Heisman poll in the U.S., has correctly predicted the Heisman Trophy winner 22 of 26 years. Here are the results for the week of Sept. 29, our third survey of the season:
Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes in parentheses)
1. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, 100 of 140 (71.4 percent), 14 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs, 1,803 yards total offense, 42 (5)
2. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon, 60 of 107 (56 percent), 9 passing TDs, 5 rushing TDs, 1,298 total offense, 28 (20)
3. QB Tajh Boyd, Clemson, 73 of 114 (64 percent), 9 passing TDs, 4 rushing TDs, 1,153 total offense, 23 (0)
4. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia, 79 of 116 (68.1 percent), 11 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs, 1,358 total offense, 20 (2)
5. QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama , 75 of 110 (68.2 percent), 6 passing TDs, 0 rushing TDs, 853 total offense, 12 (0)
Other players receiving votes: Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, 11; Oregon State QB Sean Mannion, 6; UCLA QB Brett Hundley, Florida State QB Jameis Winston and Utah State QB Chuckie Keeton, 2; Northern Illinois QB Jordan Lynch and Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk, 1.
Points are awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc.
Voters: Randy Beard, Evansville Courier & Press; Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman; Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Carolyn McAtee Cerbin, Scripps Howard News Service; Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com; Vahe Gregorian, Kansas City Star; Mike Griffith, Mlive.com; Ben Higgins, KGTV-San Diego; Todd Jones, Columbus Dispatch.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.