BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston fire department says an 11-year-old boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being overcome as he sat in a running car to keep warm, while his father was shoveling snow to get the car out of a snow bank.
Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the boy was helping his father shovel the snow in the Dorchester neighborhood Saturday but got cold, so his father started the car and the boy got inside. MacDonald said the car exhaust was covered by a snow bank, causing the fumes to collect in the vehicle.
When the boy was overcome by the fumes, the father went into respiratory arrest and emergency workers took both to Boston Medical Center. The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital. No names were released.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The ice is keeping area emergency rooms busy as doctors treat patients for slip and fall injuries.
Through the First Baptist Church of Glenpool's Community Christmas Store, parents in need can pick from brand new, donated clothing and toys for their children completely free of charge.
The city of Tulsa has spent nearly $400,000 on street cleanup in response to recent winter storms and just burned through more than a third of its salt supply, city leader Paul Strizek said Monday.