MANNFORD, Okla. - An explosion that rocked a Mannford apartment complex Monday evening has been ruled an accident.
The town's fire marshal announced the findings Tuesday afternoon.
A malfunctioning water heater created a dangerous gas build up, according to fire officials.
Six people were injured from the explosion and the resulting fire.
The explosion occurred just before 6 p.m. Monday at the Salt Creek Apartments on Hinton Boulevard.
One of the injured is a volunteer firefighter who lives next to the apartment complex. He told 2NEWS he heard the explosion and then helped pull out a woman from the burning building.
The woman suffered burns to 25 percent of her body and the man suffered burns to his hands.
Four other people were transported to local hospitals for treatment.
Crews faced some problems fighting the blaze. The fire team does not have a ladder truck, making the job a lot more difficult.
Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in about an hour but it burned into the night.
Meanwhile, surrounding buildings are without gas until the fire marshal determines it's safe.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Also in the headlines
Sand Springs City Manager Rocky Rogers has resigned, city officials have confirmed.
Pictures of the first winter storm of the season, Dec. 5 and 6.
KJRH 2 Works for You and Moody's Jewelry is giving away over $4,000 in jewelry from Dec. 9 through Dec. 20. Go to www.kjrh.com/contests to enter this 12 Days of Christmas giveaway.
A few of the Week 14 NFL games were played in snow storms.