TULSA - The Consumer Product Safety Commission urges consumers to follow these safety steps when using fireworks:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that fireworks were made for professional displays. They could pose a danger to the general public.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from even things as simple as sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
More fireworks safety information is available at www.cpsc.gov.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.