TULSA - A kitchen fire has displaced a number of residents at an east Tulsa apartment complex.
Firefighters responded to Village East Apartments near 23rd and Garnett around 8:30 a.m.
Officials say a resident was cooking in a downstairs apartment and after walking away flames sparked, catching the apartment on fire.
Seven adults and 11 children were forced from the four damaged apartments.
One man in an upstairs apartment was sleeping with headphones on when a firefighter busted through the door. He credits the firefighter with saving his life.
Red Cross spokeswoman Donita Quesnel says the Red Cross has is providing four families with financial assistance for lodging, food, clothing and seasonal garments.
PSO crews shut down electricity to the building, which included 10 apartments, while they inspect for damaged power lines.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Also in the headlines
Low donor turnout and canceled blood drives across the region after a wave of winter weather have created a blood shortage at the American Red Cross.
Pictures of the first winter storm of the season, Dec. 5 and 6.
KJRH 2 Works for You and Moody's Jewelry is giving away over $4,000 in jewelry from Dec. 9 through Dec. 20. Go to www.kjrh.com/contests to enter this 12 Days of Christmas giveaway.
A few of the Week 14 NFL games were played in snow storms.