TULSA - It's a story you first saw here on 2NEWS last week.
The city shut down its website after IT officials thought it had been hacked. As it turns out, the so-called "breach" was a private firm the city had hired to test out its system, but it took awhile for the city to figure that out.
In addition to the downed website, 90,000 people received a letter from the city of Tulsa disclosing the hacking possibility.
Personal information, such as a person's name, address, social security number and driver's license number, " may have been accessed," the letter read -- a possibility later ruled out.
The letters cost Tulsa $20,000, according to city officials.
Now, it's prompted changes in the city's Information technology department.
"In hindsight, you look at it from a different perspective and say, 'We'll we should've read this signal, and we should've seen this and that's some of what's going on now," said Tulsa City Manager Jim Twombly.
The city says they now plan to spend up to $25,000 on another third party to review the IT's procedures. A routine allotment, the city says.
In addition, the city's Chief Information Officer is on paid leave, announced within hours after the city explained how the website shut down.
Police Capt. Jonathan Brooks is stepping in to help manage the department during the review.
The 2NEWS investigators will continue to follow this story.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Oklahoma Gas and Electric is warning its customers to be on alert for a scam.
Authorities arrested a suspect in the Oct. 22 robbery of a KFC that left one man with a gunshot wound to the stomach.
Five people, including several children, were inside the home when more than a dozen shots rang out near East King and North Norfolk around 1:30 a.m.