BOSTON (AP) -- Boston-area residents were coming together in prayer and reflection Sunday after a tumultuous week as the lone surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing lay hospitalized under heavy guard apparently in no shape for interrogation.
What Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will say and when are unclear. He remained in serious condition Sunday two days after being pulled bloody and wounded from a tarp-covered boat in a Watertown backyard. The capture came at the end of a tense Friday that began with his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, dying in a gun battle with police.
There was no immediate word on when Tsarnaev might be charged and what those charges would be. The twin bombings killed three people and wounded more than 180.
The most serious charge available to federal prosecutors would be the use of a weapon of mass destruction to kill people, which carries a possible death sentence. Massachusetts does not have the death penalty.
U.S. officials said an elite interrogation team would question the Massachusetts college student without reading him his Miranda rights, which guarantees the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. Such an exception is allowed on a limited basis when the public may be in immediate danger, such as instances in which bombs are planted and ready to go off.
ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero said the legal exception applies only when there is a continued threat to public safety and is "not an open-ended exception" to the Miranda rule.
The federal public defender's office in Massachusetts said it has agreed to represent Tsarnaev once he is charged. Miriam Conrad, public defender for Massachusetts, said he should have a lawyer appointed as soon as possible because there are "serious issues regarding possible interrogation."
But Republican Rep. Mike Rogers told NBC's "Meet the Press" that he's not worried that the government has decided against reading the suspect his rights. Rogers said FBI agents need to know whether there are other bombs more than they need to use in court what the suspect might tell them.
Rogers, a former FBI agent, said there is so much evidence against the suspect that a conviction should be easy.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said Sunday that surveillance video from Monday's Boston Marathon attack shows Dzhokhar Tsarnaev dropping his backpack and calmly walking away from it before the bomb inside it exploded.
"It does seem to be pretty clear that this suspect took the backpack off, put it down, did not react when the first explosion went off and then moved away from the backpack in time for the second explosion," Patrick told NBC television. "It's pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly."
He added, however, that he hasn't viewed all the tapes but had been briefed by law enforcement about them.
President Barack Obama said there are many unanswered questions about the bombing, including whether the Tsarnaev brothers - ethnic Chechens from southern Russia who had been in the U.S. for about a decade and lived in the Boston area - had help from others. The president urged people not to rush judgment about their motivations.
Speaking on CBS' "Face the Nation," Patrick said that he has no idea what motivated the suspects. The governor said it's hard to imagine why someone would deliberately harm "innocent men, women and children in the way that these two fellows did."
Patrick also said law enforcers believe the immediate threat ended when police killed one suspect and captured the other. Boston Mayor Tom Menino said on ABC's "This Week" that information he has indicates the two brothers suspected in the attack acted alone.
Patrick said Saturday afternoon that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was in serious but stable condition and was probably unable to communicate. Tsarnaev was at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, where 11 victims of the bombing were still being treated.
"I, and I think all of the law enforcement officials, are hoping for a host of reasons the suspect survives," the governor said after a ceremony at Fenway Park to honor the victims and survivors of the attack. "We have a million questions, and those questions need to be answered."
On Sunday, a Boston synagogue was opening its doors to worshippers from Trinity Church, which sits in the shadow of the Marathon finish line and remains closed. An interfaith service will also be held Sunday near the finish line. The Rev. Nancy Taylor of the Old South Church said worshippers will be showing solidarity with the bombing victims.
Cardinal Sean O'Malley was offering a Mass to pray for those killed and injured in the attack and manhunt for the suspects. The service will also honor police, firefighters, emergency medical technicians and doctors who saved lives.
The all-day manhunt Friday brought the Boston area to a near standstill and put people on edge across the metropolitan area.
The break came around nightfall when a homeowner in Watertown saw blood on