Police arrest Bartlesville High School student, thwart possible school shooting, bombing

Bartlesville High School student, thwart possible

BARTLESVILLE, Okla. - A few hours after a shooter entered a Connecticut elementary school  and killed more than 27 people, including 20 children, a Bartlesville high school student was in court – arrested Friday morning for planning his own school shooting, according to police.

Police arrested Sammie Chavez, 18, shortly before 5 a.m. at a residence in west Bartlesville on an arrest warrant for threats to kill.

According to the affidavit, the arrest stems from an investigation that began Thursday with a report made to police by the Bartlesville High School assistant-principal Layne Jones of possible threats toward the school's student body.

Police said a student confirmed that on Wednesday Chavez tried to recruit other students to help him "lure students into the school auditorium where he planned to begin shooting them after chaining the doors shut," read the report.

The student reportedly told police Chavez threatened that if the student's assisting him did not do as he instructed, he would "not hesitate to kill them and/or himself."

Chavez reportedly told students he would place bombs by the doors in such a manner so when police arrived, he would detonate the bombs as they entered the building, killing them.

Police said Chavez had been attempting to acquire a diagram of the school campus and additionally had told a teacher he had purchased a handgun which he spent the weekend shooting.

A review of information obtained from the school computer used by Chavez showed searches from Nov. 30 for a .22 caliber rifle built on a machine gun platform, said police.

According to police, students witnessed Chavez not only "researching the Columbine High School massacre and remorseful letters on the 'in Memory' page," they also saw him looking at a website on how to build pipe bombs.

Despite the threats, police believe no students were ever in any immediate danger.

Bartlesville Police Capt. Jay Hastings in a statement released Friday afternoon said police are still investigating. He said they began a search for him immediately when he did not appear in school Thursday.

Facing a charge of conspiring to perform an act of violence, he appeared in Washington County District Court where a judge raised his bond from $200,000 to $1 million.

Chavez is due back in court on Jan. 11.

Print this article Back to Top